How much and when should I drink during a tennis match?

You should have a minimum of 2 liters court side. Some players like to fill and chill squeeze bottles or sports jugs and bring them to each practice or match. You should drink enough throughout the day so your urine is a light or pale yellow color before starting a match. Drink 17 to 20 oz. of fluid within 2 hours pre-match; Consume 5-10 oz. of fluid (water or sports drinks) every 15-20 minutes, especially at changeovers, for optimal hydration and performance.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What can I eat to recover after exercise if I'm not hungry?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
If you are not hungry after exercise, wait until you are. Then I would eat lean protein. If you eat ...
What is nutrition periodization for a competitive athlete?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Nutrition periodization is the concept of varying nutritional intake along with training cycles. For...
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?