How much and when should I drink during a tennis match?

You should have a minimum of 2 liters court side. Some players like to fill and chill squeeze bottles or sports jugs and bring them to each practice or match. You should drink enough throughout the day so your urine is a light or pale yellow color before starting a match. Drink 17 to 20 oz. of fluid within 2 hours pre-match; Consume 5-10 oz. of fluid (water or sports drinks) every 15-20 minutes, especially at changeovers, for optimal hydration and performance.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What are some good foods to eat before a long run for energy?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Prior to a long run you want to eat something that is going to fuel your body. Something that has ca...
Do I need “back pocket foods” (gels, beans, shot blocks, etc.)?
Lisa Bradley , NASM Elite TrainerLisa Bradley , NASM Elite Trainer
Sports drinks can be sufficient for replenishing carbohydrate stores when you exercise continually b...
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?