How do I know if I’m out of glycogen?

Consistently poor performance in the second half may indicate that you have run out of glycogen. Glycogen-depleted soccer players usually run more slowly -- sometimes by as much as 50 percent -- during the second halves of matches, compared to the first. In addition, total distance covered during the second half is often reduced by 25 percent or more in players who have low glycogen, indicating that overall quality of play deteriorates as glycogen levels decrease. Compared to competitors with normal glycogen, low-glycogen players spend more time walking and less time sprinting as play proceeds. Try increasing overall carbohydrate in the diet (60 - 65%) and adding a pre-game high carbohydrate, easily digestible meal, and take in a sports drink during play to see if you notice improvements.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What should I eat if I exercise regularly?
Most of your calories should come from carbohydrates. Carbs are the body's main source of energy and...
How much protein do I need daily when training for a marathon?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
The simplest and safest answer is ~1 gram (g) of protein per pound of body weight for all athletes d...
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?