How can I tell if I’m getting dehydrated while playing sports?

The body is approximately 60% fluid, and all systems in the body are affected by dehydration. Early signs and symptoms of mild dehydration include thirst, general discomfort, and decreased performance.

The following may occur with moderate to severe dehydration: fatigue, decreased performance, flushed skin, dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, chills, decreased urine output or dark colored urine, and increased body temperature. These symptoms can lead to serious complications. Identifying the early signs of dehydration can help you prevent or limit the degree of heat illness.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

How Has Technology Changed Your Training Regimen?
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?
What Should I Eat Before a Workout?
What Should I Eat Before a Workout?
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?