How should I fuel for a workout?

Joy Dubost, PhD
Eating right is essential to getting the most out of exercising. In this video, Dr. Joy Dubost explains what to eat and when so you can properly fuel your workout.

Never skimp on calories before, during and or after workouts. One hour before or one hour after workouts is your window where you need to be sure to fuel properly. A steady aerobic effort of less than 90 minutes doesn’t demand fuel replacement (you will still need to replace fluids, but you don’t necessarily need a gel or a sport drink). Alternately, high intensity efforts do demand the replacement of calories throughout a workout, so a gel or sport drink is appropriate. Following a workout, be it a high or low intensity effort, fuel up. If you eat something following your workout you not only speed up your recovery, you also are less likely to overeat later. Don’t take this too far though, for example, a piece of fruit (100-150 kcal) is ample for a recovery food following a shorter indoor workout over the winter. Another tip is to snack frequently: We all know we make poor choices when we are starving, so try not to get to that point throughout the day. Instead eat 5 smaller meals throughout the day, every 2-4 hrs take in 200-500 kcals instead of the 1000 kcal meal for dinner.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
What Does the Future of Technology with Athletic Training Look Like?
Eat Protein Before a Workout to Burn More Calories
How Does an Olympic Athlete Fuel His Body?