How much liquid should I drink before, during and after exercise?

You need enough fluid to stay well hydrated during activity. It is generally recommended that you drink between 17 and 20 ounces of fluids 2-3 hours before beginning to exercise or train.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
Which nutrients are important for people who exercise?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
A well balanced diet is important for those who exercise, as well as those who don't exercise as oft...
What should I eat to avoid post-workout shakes, nausea and dizziness?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Make sure you eat some good protein prior to working out. Try some natural nut butters with frui...
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?