How much should I eat before a sports competition?

You can eat a normal meal that you would usually have on a noncompetition day, as long as you give your body enough time afterward to completely digest the food. It takes the body two to four hours to digest food, so if you are planning on eating a full meal, eat at least two to four hours prior to competition.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What should I eat before a workout?
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, feed you...
Should an aging athlete take protein supplements?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
It depends on how much protein you consume from food and your training goals. All healthy athletes c...
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?