Should I worry about how much my child drinks during training or a game?

Yes. Children do not tolerate heat as well as adults because their bodies absorb more heat and their thirst system is not as developed as an adult. Drinking before, during, and after practice and games will help make sure your child gets enough fluid. Easy rule of thumb? Two cups of liquids (water preferrably) before, 1 cup every fifteen minutes during activity and play, and two cups after.
Heather R. Mangieri

Making sure children stay well hydrated during a game or event should be a top priority. Children are at greater risk for heat related illness than adults for a few reasons, one of which is the sweating capacity in children is considerable lower than adults. This reduces their ability to dissipate body heat by evaporation as well as adults. As outside temperature rises, children have a lower exercise tolerance than adults do. So, the most important thing is to be sure children start the game or practice well hydrated and continue to hydrate throughout the event and then rehydrate after. This means starting to hydrate first thing in the morning and then consuming 4-6 ounces every 15 minutes during the event. After the event children should attempt to replace losses that occurred during activity. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What is nutrition periodization for a competitive athlete?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Nutrition periodization is the concept of varying nutritional intake along with training cycles. For...
What can I eat during a rain delay that will keep me ready to play?
Fruit is a good food to eat during delays. It will provide nutrients as well as keep you hydrated fo...
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?