For an early morning workout what should I eat?

Some good foods to eat early in the morning include complex carbohydrates (fruits and whole grains are best) and protein such as peanut butter or low-fat yogurt. These foods will give you the energy that you need without upsetting your stomach.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)
It is important to eat a pre-workout or morning snack before you ride. After a night of fasting, replenishing energy stores is a great way to make these early morning workouts worthwhile. Ideally, these snacks should be heavy in carbohydrates. Eating eggs might be a bit of an over-kill in the protein department, just in that protein does slow down digestion and absorption of a meal. The point of this snack is to raise blood glucose levels to get you through your training session (which carbohydrates alone will do) and I imagine you don’t want to have to wake up too much earlier to ensure that your meal is completely digested and you’re ready to go at 7am. If your rides do not last longer than an hour to an hour and a half, a small snack is really all that’s needed (~200-300 Calories). The body has enough energy stored in blood and liver glycogen stores to sustain activity for about one hour's worth of activity. Anything under one hour of activity should not require supplementing Calories, and should really only focus on proper hydration. I would recommend eating a carbohydrate rich morning snack, as well as carrying a sports drink along with you on your ride. This will help encourage hydration during hot and humid days, as well as supplying the electrolytes (mostly sodium) that you may be losing through sweat.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

What should I eat to avoid post-workout shakes, nausea and dizziness?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Make sure you eat some good protein prior to working out. Try some natural nut butters with frui...
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
What Does the Future of Technology with Athletic Training Look Like?
How Has Technology Improved Precision in Training?