What are some good foods to eat before a long run for energy?

Prior to a long run you want to eat something that is going to fuel your body. Something that has carbohydrates will be ideal. Eating something that is a whole grain or a filling fruit would be my best recommendations. Prior to my long runs, I may have a banana with some almond butter, tasty!
Long runs of more than an hour need adequate fuel to keep you going. At least two hours before you run, try a lean turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread or a whole grain bagel with peanut butter. The combination of protein and carbohydrates will help power you through even the toughest run and provide you with much needed energy.
Fruit is my go to food before a long run, usually in the form of a smoothie. I have also used energy "goo" for my really long runs. Stay away from most energy drinks as you will not need to elevate heart rate any more than what your run can deliver.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What should I eat or drink after a workout to build muscle?
It is important to replenish lost energy stores after exercise. Protein is used to rebuild tissue an...
What should I eat the night before a game?
Make sure to choose foods you enjoy, and that are dependable (you’ve had them before) with about...
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?