What is the biggest nutrition mistake made by winter sports athletes?

Katie Davis
I agree completely with the answer provided by NASM. Another issue I see is not taking in enough fluids. It is tempting when it is cold outside to trick yourself into believing you are not sweating. However, losses from respiration are much higher in the cold. Also, the many layers often worn by winter sports athletes are now much more breathable than they used to be. That means the body can more efficiently cool itself through sweating....hence fluid and electrolyte loss. So along with breaking for snacks to cover calorie loss, be sure to take in fluids as well. If you are a high-level winter sport athlete, I would recommend a sports drink instead of plain water.
Despite higher energy needs of performing at altitude and in the cold, winter sports athletes often do not take in the amount of energy (Calories) that they need. Whether you are a serious recreational skier or a competitor, make sure that you start with a healthy breakfast, take snacks with you on the slopes, and break for meals.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
Could eating pizza affect my vertical jumping ability?
Eating pizza could affect your vertical jumping ability. It probably wouldn’t have much effect o...
How much should I eat before a sports competition?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You can eat a normal meal that you would usually have on a noncompetition day, as long as you give y...
Eat Protein Before a Workout to Burn More Calories