As an athlete, how can I lose weight without losing muscle mass?

If you're trying to lose weight, your goal is to lose one pound per week. Reducing caloric intake by 500 calories per day will allow you to accomplish this goal.

Eating numerous smaller meals is recommended. Six meals a day is not uncommon. This allows you to spread your caloric intake over that day and minimizes unused calories.

Time your meals so that they provide you with enough energy for your workout. For example, eat breakfast, have a mid-morning snack, eat lunch, have a pre-workout snack and a post-workout snack, and then eat a nutritionally balanced dinner. As you restrict calories, make sure that you are getting a full spectrum of nutrients. Adequate vitamin and mineral intake is very important. Eating a balanced diet that includes carbohydrates, lean meats, fruits, and vegetables will help.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Are supplements and diet pills safe for athletes?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Since the first recognition that nutrition matters in achieving peak performance, a multimillion dol...
What should I eat or drink after a workout to build muscle?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Following a good workout, in order to maximize exercise-induced results, you want to consume a formu...
How Much Does Diet Impact Athletes?
How Much Does Diet Impact Athletes?
How Does an Olympic Athlete Fuel His Body?