Why should I stay healthy as I age?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Aging is a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Staying healthy while aging is up to you. One-half to three-quarters of our physical and cognitive health is dependent upon our choices and lifestyle, not our genes or our parents. Therefore planning and action are critical elements of healthy aging. Life expectancy in 1900 was 47, and now it is about 77-80 years of age. Some of us will have 10-20 years of living in retirement.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

10 Things That Don't Age Well
10 Things That Don't Age Well
1. Eyes. “Can I have a light with that menu?” Presbyopia will hit you after the age of 40. You will notice it's more difficult to focus on objects up ...
Can we end aging?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
At this point, no, although researchers called biomedical gerontologists are looking for ways, inclu...
Why does seborrheic keratoses happen?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Its simple genetic programming and another irritating aspect of aging. Some people make different sp...
What Does Retirement From the Workforce Have to Do With Health?