Why does body fat increase with age?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
A tendency to lose some muscle and strength, and to add to the percentage of body fat -- often described as increasing body fat composition -- is a normal part of the aging process. Typically, exercise capacity declines as we age.

If you want to age successfully, with improved strength and endurance, you need to understand the other changes associated with aging. Your body burns calories even when you are resting, and this process becomes more efficient as you age. In other words, the amount of energy your body uses at rest decreases as you get older.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Mistakes That Age You
Mistakes That Age You
I’m not quite 30, and people often tell me I look younger than my age. And why not? I’m a road-running regular who laces up four times a week. I try t...
Why isn’t the fear of dying a sustainable motivator?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
If someone is not motivated death is not likely to motivate them. There are several reasons the fear...
How do vaccinations slow aging?
Getting immunizations probably won't save you years of aging, but it might, and it's simple to d...
How Far Away Are We from Brain Assessments or Check-Ups?