What are the steps to successful aging?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The humorist in me has a very simple answer: keep getting older. The longer you live the more successful you are at aging. If you are concerned about aging well, than taking care of your health when you are younger is important. Eat healthy, exercise, find ways to decrease stress, and maintain a healthy outlook on life. Life is hard, it throws us curve balls we are not expecting. How we deal with those hard times affects our ability to age well. Laugh, find humor in events even when they may be difficult, concentrate on the positive events in your life rather than the negative, and take care of your health. There are many things you can do in life to give it meaning, find what works for you. Maintain a good support system, don't hold on to grudges, give of yourself to others. No matter how old you are, remember that you are valuable to those around you. I could go on, but I think you get the idea that maintaining a positive attitude and finding ways of maintaining meaning in your life are two of the most important ingredients to successful aging.

Dr. Oz explains anti-aging tips in this video from Discovery Health.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

How can volunteering help me maintain my independence as I age?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
As you age, you can maintain your independence by volunteering. Volunteering offers numerous benefit...
How do vaccinations slow aging?
Getting immunizations probably won't save you years of aging, but it might, and it's simple to d...
What Excites You the Most About the Future of Brain Research?
How Do We Get People to Live Longer?
How Do We Get People to Live Longer?