How can owning a pet improve my aging parent's mood and outlook?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Intangible, psychological benefits have been documented with pet ownership. Stroking animals relieves stress, and the presence of non-judgmental, devoted pets combats loneliness. As a result, depression, often due to loss and isolation, is greatly reduced. Elderly people also regain a sense of self-worth and self-confidence when they are responsible for the care and feeding of another life. Additionally, pet ownership pushes seniors to take better care of themselves. A trip to the grocery store to stock up on necessities or preparation of a meal may seem burdensome to some older people. Once they are concerned about having food on hand for their dog or fixing a meal for their dog or cat, the daily routines become important again.
UCLA Health People Animal Connection (PAC) Program
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Owning a pet can improve an aging parent’s mood and outlook a great deal. Having a pet contributes to a person’s increased sense of belonging and responsibility, as well as camaraderie because the pet is like a family member who needs to be taken care of.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

10 Things That Don't Age Well
10 Things That Don't Age Well
1. Eyes. “Can I have a light with that menu?” Presbyopia will hit you after the age of 40. You will notice it's more difficult to focus on objects up ...
Can we end aging?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
At this point, no, although researchers called biomedical gerontologists are looking for ways, inclu...
How can seeing my doctor regularly help maintain my independence as I age?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
As you age, you can maintain your independence by seeing your doctor regularly. He or she is your pa...
Why Don't Americans Commonly Discuss Advanced Care Directives?