Why might a new pet be a good idea for my elderly parent?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Unconditional affection and loyalty, companionship, reasons to live and love... these are the essence of pet ownership. Many studies have proven the value of pet ownership for senior citizens. As one ages, new experiences occur which are not always welcome: loss of independence, moving to new surroundings, loss of a spouse, loss of friends, or changes in physical health. These changes can create a time of increased loneliness, loss of interest in hobbies, and depression. Love is a perfect prescription for loneliness, and there is no better delivery device for love than a happy bundle of fur also known as a pet. Pets also stimulate the brain, alleviate boredom and increase mental alertness. Seniors with pets tend to be more engaged in reality and feel more secure. Most of all, a pet is a huge ego boost for any owner; to be so loved is a great antidote to all the stress of life.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Life Expectancy Increasing Around the Globe
Someday, we might all make it to our Betty White years. That's the gist of a new study published in The Lancet, which found that average life expectan...
What are the factors in age-related disease that I can control?
Aging is a normal process that is regulated by multiple factors including genetics and lifestyle cho...
How does having an education affect the way I age?
Going to school and learning make you younger. People who are better educated tend to stay young...
How Mental and Physical Exercise Improve Brain Health