As I get older, how might my diet affect my sex life?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
A steady diet of cheeseburgers, soda, and channel surfing may seem like no big deal when you're younger, but as we age, these poor choices begin to take their toll on our health. The result? Clogged arteries, obesity, and a higher risk of problems like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes -- all of which can impair blood can impair blood flow to the genitals. (Diabetes can also damage nerves in the pelvis.) When there is an increase in body fat, there is also an increased conversion of testosterone to estrogen. All of these things can make it difficult for a man to achieve and maintain erections.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

10 Things That Don't Age Well
10 Things That Don't Age Well
1. Eyes. “Can I have a light with that menu?” Presbyopia will hit you after the age of 40. You will notice it's more difficult to focus on objects up ...
What is age management medicine?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Age management medicine (AMM) is dedicated to the science of healthy aging and emphasizes the enhanc...
How can simplifying our lives keep us young?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Clearing out things -- clothes, objects, equipment we no longer need or use -- gives us a freedom an...
How Will the Healthcare Industry Handle Aging Baby Boomers?