How can I prepare for aging while I'm young?

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the most important way to prepare for aging while you are young. This includes eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight and getting regular exercise, including cardiovascular, balance and strength training.
Here are the primary factors in preparing for aging while young:
  • Exercise: Countless studies remind the public of the benefits of regular exercise for overall health and stress management.
  • Eating healthy: Nutritional experts recommend a balanced diet containing the proper portions of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and protein sources.
  • Regular checkups: Regular physical exams and blood tests are very important in detecting early risk factors for heart disease and other conditions.
  • Stress management: Many studies have found that stress seems to worsen or increase the risk of conditions such as obesity, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, depression, gastrointestinal problems and asthma.
  • Don’t smoke: Avoiding habits that are detrimental to your health may be an obvious factor, but many young people are still opting to smoke cigarettes despite decades of studies linking chemicals in tobacco products to various cancers and heart disease.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Life Expectancy Increasing Around the Globe
Someday, we might all make it to our Betty White years. That's the gist of a new study published in The Lancet, which found that average life expectan...
What are the keys to staying healthy as I age?
Thinking about staying healthy becomes more pressing as we age, because aging brings a variety of he...
What should I consider before getting an elderly parent a pet?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Before investing in a pet for an elderly parent, review budgets and activity levels. Make sure t...
How Important Is Stress Management to Brain Health?