How can I maintain my independence as I age?

For many seniors, independence means a different type of freedom -- from relying on others for assistance -- and maintaining it throughout their golden years. There are some things you can do to help maintain independence by staying healthy.
  • Stay active.
  • Stay social.
  • Volunteer.
  • See your doctor.
  • Take your medicine.
  • Manage stress.
  • Get help when you need it.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Being a Good Friend Keeps You Young
Being a Good Friend Keeps You Young
Would you like to double your chances of staying as active, independent, and hot in Cleveland (or wherever!) as Betty White when you're her age (89)? ...
How do Americans depict aging?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
How do we in America depict aging?The cantankerous and feisty senior citizen people of a certain age...
Why isn’t the fear of dying a sustainable motivator?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
If someone is not motivated death is not likely to motivate them. There are several reasons the fear...
Solving the Weight Gain "Mystery" of Middle Age