How can I maintain my independence as I age?

For many seniors, independence means a different type of freedom -- from relying on others for assistance -- and maintaining it throughout their golden years. There are some things you can do to help maintain independence by staying healthy.
  • Stay active.
  • Stay social.
  • Volunteer.
  • See your doctor.
  • Take your medicine.
  • Manage stress.
  • Get help when you need it.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

How Friendships Improve Your Health
How Friendships Improve Your Health
In a memorable scene from I Love Lucy, Lucy and Ethel go on stage to perform a song about friendship, only to notice that they’re wearing the same dre...
How can I help a senior stay healthy?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Senior citizens are often lonely, alone, fearful, and distressed -- just more factors brewing in a p...
How can I reverse age-related damage?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Many of the most common illnesses in America are related to a combination of age, genetics, and life...
Will the Human Lifespan Continue to Increase?