How does sirtuin work?

When it comes to calorie restriction, the mechanism that slows aging comes in the form of a protein called sirtuin. Sirtuin seems to change the chemistry in your body to help neutralize aging. In animal models, we see that sirtuin is really a magic molecule, because it allows primates to have an even longer life expectancy than Bewitched reruns.

The way sirtuin works is by influencing the way DNA is made. DNA is encased in proteins called histones, which stabilize the structure of the DNA. But when the sirtuin gene is activated (through the starvation stimulus), the resulting increased activity of sirtuin protein compresses the DNA on the histones—and thus slows the way that the chromosomes are reproduced and reduces errors during the process.

However, not everyone's sirtuin protein-manufacturing gene is activated. Researchers have found that calorie restriction helps activate sirtuin. That is, eating fewer calories acts as the light switch that turns on sirtuin. But there are also other ways to activate sirtuin.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

10 Things That Don't Age Well
10 Things That Don't Age Well
1. Eyes. “Can I have a light with that menu?” Presbyopia will hit you after the age of 40. You will notice it's more difficult to focus on objects u...
How can I increase the development of new brain cells as I age?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
As we get older, the development of new cells continues in parts of the brain, including the memory ...
Why might a new pet be a good idea for my elderly parent?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Unconditional affection and loyalty, companionship, reasons to live and love... these are the es...
Health Tips to Extend Your Life
Health Tips to Extend Your Life