What happens to my cells as I age?

Cells age and get worn out and need to be replaced. To replace the worn out cells, a healthy cell copies itself by splitting. Then there are two healthy cells instead of one old one. The new cells then continue the old cell's job.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

As you age, the regeneration capacity of your cells slows down; your tissues become stiffer and perform less efficiently. There are many examples in nature, from insects to humans, of decreased performance with increased age. Because of this overall slowdown, your physical prowess changes over time.

Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

From birth to adulthood new cells are constantly forming. Once adulthood has been reached your cells divide to replace those that have died or become damaged. However this happens differently depending upon the organ involved.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

10 Things That Don't Age Well
10 Things That Don't Age Well
1. Eyes. “Can I have a light with that menu?” Presbyopia will hit you after the age of 40. You will notice it's more difficult to focus on objects u...
What is age management medicine?
William M. Carragher III., DOWilliam M. Carragher III., DO
Age Management Medicine is a proactive, preventative approach to healthcare focused on preserving of...
What should I consider before getting an elderly parent a pet?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Before investing in a pet for an elderly parent, review budgets and activity levels. Make sure t...
How Mental and Physical Exercise Improve Brain Health