Can I control how quickly I age?

You control more than 70 percent of how well and how long you live. By the time you reach 50, your lifestyle dictates 80 percent of how you age; the rest is controlled by inherited genetics.

Everyone ages at the same calendar rate with birthdays every 365 or 366 days. But you have the power to turn your body's clock faster or slower with the lifestyle choices you make about what you do with your body and what you put into it. For example, a 50-year-old woman who douses her lungs with nicotine and builds her food pyramid with liver and sausage actually may have the body of a 65-year-old because of the destruction she's doing. A 50-year-old, however, who eats well, stays away from toxins, and takes care of her body with moderate physical activity could have the body and health of a 36-year-old.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Mistakes That Age You
Mistakes That Age You
I’m not quite 30, and people often tell me I look younger than my age. And why not? I’m a road-running regular who laces up four times a week. I try t...
Are there any hormone therapies to slow the aging process?
No. Estrogen therapy in women and testosterone therapy in men may have short term benefit, but also ...
How can aging affect my happiness?
Getting older really gets a bad rap. It turns out you'll have a lot to smile about. That's beca...
Why Is It Important to Replace Muscle Mass as We Age?