Can humans live forever?

At this point, no, although not for lack of trying. Humans are thought to have a maximum lifespan of 120 years because of a biological phenomenon called the Hayflick limit, a cell's natural lifespan. Researchers know how to extract and synthesize a protein called telomerase that is found in DNA. In one study, this protein extended the lifespan of some cells, but science has not yet proven that this protein can make cells live indefinitely.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How does keeping an active mind affect aging?
Become a lifelong learner. People with higher levels of education and those who continue to be i...
What are the keys to staying healthy as I age?
Thinking about staying healthy becomes more pressing as we age, because aging brings a variety of he...
What Foods Can I Eat to Increase My Muscle Mass As I Get Older?