What should I consider before getting an elderly parent a pet?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Before investing in a pet for an elderly parent, review budgets and activity levels. Make sure that the care and feeding of the pet is affordable and the animal is not too strong or active. Active pets can also become a fall risk for a senior citizen. A senior should be careful to choose a pet that does not jump up or get in the way of the elder's feet. Elders must also be careful of pet toys that might be left around the floor. Some people feel pets reduce their ability to travel. If you have an older person in your family, make sure that any pet ownership decision involves them; never just present them with a pet.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

How Friendships Improve Your Health
How Friendships Improve Your Health
In a memorable scene from I Love Lucy, Lucy and Ethel go on stage to perform a song about friendship, only to notice that they’re wearing the same dre...
How can I maintain my independence as I age?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
For many seniors, independence means a different type of freedom -- from relying on others for assis...
What should I consider when getting a dog for a senior?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
Look for breeds that are mild mannered and stay at home dogs (like Border Collies and Shelties). You...
How Can We delay the Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease?