What should I consider before getting an elderly parent a pet?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Before investing in a pet for an elderly parent, review budgets and activity levels. Make sure that the care and feeding of the pet is affordable and the animal is not too strong or active. Active pets can also become a fall risk for a senior citizen. A senior should be careful to choose a pet that does not jump up or get in the way of the elder's feet. Elders must also be careful of pet toys that might be left around the floor. Some people feel pets reduce their ability to travel. If you have an older person in your family, make sure that any pet ownership decision involves them; never just present them with a pet.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How could a pet improve my aging parent's health?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
The list of the advantages of pet ownership for the elderly is quite extensive. From a purely me...
Can anyone become famous over 50?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
"You're never too old to make a mark. Consider these late-in-life success stories:Julia Child: She b...
What Does an Annual Brain Health Check-Up Look Like?