How does balance predict disability in old age?

We all take a misstep once in a while, even when sober and fully charged with sleep. If a young person falls, they will most likely stand up, brush themselves off and go on their merry way. A fall in an older person is not that easily handled.

Coordination and balance are remarkable because they require 3 sensory systems to be healthy and aligned: vision, body kinetics (muscles, bones and joints) and inner ear balance (vestibular). If any one of those systems goes off kilter, it can send someone tumbling. Vestibular dysfunction - dizziness and problems with balance - comes from problems in the inner ear. Changes here can predict a future of disability. Many elderly hospitalized with a fractured hip, for example, are never able to return home again.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Mistakes That Age You
Mistakes That Age You
I’m not quite 30, and people often tell me I look younger than my age. And why not? I’m a road-running regular who laces up four times a week. I try t...
How do Americans depict aging?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
How do we in America depict aging?The cantankerous and feisty senior citizen people of a certain age...
Are there any hormone therapies to slow the aging process?
No. Estrogen therapy in women and testosterone therapy in men may have short term benefit, but also ...
What Are Ways to Help People Be More Healthy?