Are there any hormone therapies to slow the aging process?

No. Estrogen therapy in women and testosterone therapy in men may have short term benefit, but also come at a risk. Estrogens may increase breast cancer and clotting issues. They can cause better vaginal lubrication and skin health. Testosterone in men can increase risk of cardiovascular disease and prostate cancer. There have been some self reported decreases in fatigue and improved self well-being, but these are not long lived.
Mark C. Houston, MD
Human growth hormone (HGH) has been used as an anti-aging treatment for a long time with some evidence of beneficial effects in elderly patients. HGH supplements may increase muscle mass, enhance the immune function, increase libido, and increase overall energy level.  However, the long-term effects may be more adverse because of increased osteoarthritis, higher glucose or diabetes mellitus, high blood pressure, weight gain, and promotion of growth of pre-existing tumors and cancers such as prostate and colon.

Other hormonal therapies such as DHEA, melatonin, and sex hormones show promise, but there are no good studies to date in humans to recommend them for long-term use as an anti-aging program. Selected use of bio-identical sex hormones such as testosterone in men and estrogen and progesterone in women will improve quality of life, bone and lean muscle mass, reduce hormone-related symptoms, and reduce fatigue.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

How Friendships Improve Your Health
How Friendships Improve Your Health
In a memorable scene from I Love Lucy, Lucy and Ethel go on stage to perform a song about friendship, only to notice that they’re wearing the same dre...
How could a pet improve my aging parent's health?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
The list of the advantages of pet ownership for the elderly is quite extensive. From a purely me...
Why should I ask for help if I want to maintain my independence as I age?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Although it seems counterintuitive, getting help when you need it can help you maintain your indepen...
How Can I Manage and Improve My Own Brain?