How can I tell if my aging parent is having money problems?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Financial issues are often difficult to assess because parents rarely wish to discuss their finances and it may require some detective work. One clue: if there are stacks of unopened envelopes on the desk, especially ones marked overdue or that have red outlines, this might be a concern. Are the bills being paid? If available, glance through the checkbook. Always be aware that while it may be time for your aging parent or loved one to receive some type of help, they will probably be too embarrassed to ask for it. It's up to loving family or caregivers to begin to discuss and determine what those needs are.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
Why should I stay healthy as I age?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
Aging is a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Staying healthy while aging is up t...
What should I consider before getting an elderly parent a pet?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Before investing in a pet for an elderly parent, review budgets and activity levels. Make sure t...
Can Activities Typically Done at Home Help Seniors with Brain Function?