Why should I eat some fat with my vegetables?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
All things equal (meaning ideally your veggies are organic -- fresh or frozen), eating vegetables with some fat help us absorb the phytonutrients (means plant-based nutrients, antioxidants) better. Why? Many of these nutrients are fat soluble. So if you want to have raw or steamed, make sure to have some healthy fat at your meal (avocado, olives, chia seeds, nuts, flaxseed, hempseed and olive oil, etc) or go ahead and use an appropriate amount of oil to sauté, bake, or stir fry your veggies.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Walnuts: The Superfood
Walnuts: The Superfood
John Boy Walton (Richard Thomas) was notoriously wholesome and filled with the right stuff to assure his future was happy and healthy. If you ask us h...
What is healthier to eat, white rice or pasta?
Amy CampbellAmy Campbell
The answer is:  both white rice and white pasta are pretty much the same in terms of nutritional con...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
How Much Yogurt Do I Have to Eat to Improve My Digestion?