What are some health benefits of berries?

People with high blood pressure (BP) who ate berries daily as part of a study saw a 7-point dip in their systolic blood pressure—after just 8 weeks of berry love!

Berries have a lot going for them: They're jam-packed with polyphenols, like flavonols and anthocyanins. Plus, they're loaded with vitamin C, folate, potassium and fiber. With so much in such a tiny package, it's hardly a surprise that it took just 4 ounces of a berry medley each day to show a difference in the health of the study participants. Not only did their blood pressure go down, but their high density lipoprotein (HDL) ("good" cholesterol) went up, too.

The benefits of berries are still under study, but fresh berries definitely have a lot more than just great flavor.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Mushroom Magic
Mushroom Magic
I have always liked mushrooms as a food choice. Not until the last several years have I appreciated them for their medicinal value. In fact, I find th...
What foods are good sources of sulfur-containing antibacterial compounds?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
In addition to garlic, sulfur sources include egg yolks, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprou...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
Obesity and the Decline of Healthy Eating