What is lean beef?

Keri Gans
The USDA defines lean beef as having less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol per 3½-ounce serving.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Toby Smithson

Lean meats are based on the cuts of meat. Leaner grades of meat contain less marbling which is called “select” grade. Check the nutrition facts label for the percentage of lean. 80% lean ground beef contains about 20% fat and 95% lean ground beef contains 5% fat, so you will be looking for the higher percentage lean to get the lowest fat content. Percent lean refers to the actual weight of the lean meat in relation to the fat content. Lean cuts of beef round, sirloin, top loin, tenderloin, flank, and chuck. 

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

There are 29 cuts of beef that meet the government labeling guidelines for lean. Many are cuts you are probably already eating, such as flank steak, T-bone steak, and sirloin steak. According to government guidelines, a serving qualifies as "extra lean" if it has less than 5g total fat, 2g or less saturated fat and less than 95mg cholesterol per 3.5 oz. serving. A serving qualifies as "lean" if it has less than 10g total fat, 4.5g or less saturated fat and less than 95mg cholesterol per 3.5 oz. serving.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Trendy, Ugly Veggies Pack a Health Punch
Summer’s hottest food trend: Weird-o veggies and fruit, from wrinkled heirloom tomatoes and strangely shaped carrots to gnarly Jerusalem artichokes. T...
What are the possible benefits of functional foods?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
Functional foods have been shown to be an extremely effective aid to weight reduction and in almost ...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Often Should I Include Fish In My Diet, and What Kinds?