What is so great about legumes?

Ximena Jimenez
Legumes are not only delicious but packed with protein, fiber and folic acid. The dietary fiber in legumes lowers insulin release and delays nutrient absorption. By lowering nutrient absorption in the intestinal tract and stimulating satiety, it assists with weigh control. Folic acid appears to lower homocysteine which helps maintain healthy blood vessels of the heart and brain.
Legumes are virtually fat-free and are chock full of protein. They are loaded with iron, fiber, calcium and potassium and they don't contain any cholesterol.

They are so good for you that the Food and Drug Administration authorized the Dry Bean Board in 2005 to include a message on its packaging program that diets that include beans may reduce the risk of heart disease and certain kinds of cancer.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

What Mushrooms Should I Not Eat?
What Mushrooms Should I Not Eat?
What Are the Health Benefits of Red Yeast Rice?
What Are the Health Benefits of Mushrooms?
What Should I Do If I Can't Afford to Buy Only Organic Foods?