What are health benefits of whole-grain pastas?

Many varieties of whole-grain pastas are showing up on menus and grocery store shelves. Venture into unchartered territory with these tasty alternatives. They taste great and offer more health benefits than traditional pastas.

Whole-grain pastas like spaghetti, lasagna macaroni and fettuccine, like traditional pasta, are high in starches or complex carbohydrates. However, the fiber content of whole-grain pastas is almost three times higher -- 1/2 cup of whole-wheat pasta has about 3 grams of fiber, compared to about 1 gram in traditional pasta.
Samantha Heller, RD

Pasta has a bad reputation, but the whole-grain variety actually contains powerful nutrients like fiber, antioxidants, protein and B vitamins. Watch registered dietitian Samantha Heller describe the many healthy benefits of eating whole grains. 

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

The Brainy Benefits of Fish
The Brainy Benefits of Fish
When we saw the headline Fish Consumption Linked to College Education, we thought something sounded, well, a little fishy. Let’s face it; it takes mor...
What can I do if I only like white bread?
Keri GansKeri Gans
Have you tried whole wheat bread? One of my patients, a self-described “picky eater,” claimed to dis...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
What Are the Health Benefits of Fermented Wheat Germ?