What are health benefits of quinoa?

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Dermatology
Quinoa is packed with amino acids, the building blocks of protein that we need for healthy skin. Watch me explain why we need to get certain amino acids from food, and why quinoa is a great source of this nutrient.
Quinoa is a complete protein supplying all eight of the essential amino acids and is a good source of fiber, folate, magnesium, iron, phosphorous and many phytochemicals.

It has a mild, nutty flavor, a fluffy texture similar to couscous and it can be used in place of rice, pasta or other grains. Serve quinoa for breakfast in place of hot cereal, as a salad or a side dish. One cup provides five grams of fiber and contains over 200 calories.
Shereen Jegtvig

Quinoa is good source of protein. Actually, it's a complete protein, which is unusual for plant proteins. Complete proteins contain all of the amino acids you need to get from your diet. Quinoa is also a good source of magnesium, iron, and selenium and it contains B-complex vitamins and vitamin E.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

The World's Sexiest Fruit!
The World's Sexiest Fruit!
It gets its name from the word ahuacatl, Aztec for, well, testicle—which it clearly resembles. And because of its shape, the Aztecs prized it as a pow...
Are nuts beneficial for my health?
Nuts are packed with fiber to maintain digestive health. If you’re concerned about the high-calorie ...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Often Should I Include Fish In My Diet, and What Kinds?