What are the health benefits of carrots?

Judy Caplan
Carrots are notorious for helping keep your vision sharp. But that is not the only reason carrots are healthy. Epithelial cells line your mucus membranes. Vitamin A plays a role in keeping these cells healthy. When you eat carrots you are getting a large dose of Vitamin A and this in turn helps you fight infections and viruses.
Carrots, Bugs Bunny's favorite vegetable, aren't just good for our eyes. An excellent source of beta-carotene, carrots are also good for healthy skin, growth and a strong immune system, and contain phytochemicals that may offer protection from heart disease and certain cancers.
Carrots support eye and skin health, bolster immune function and demonstrate cancer-prevention potential with their ability to neutralize free radicals and promote communication between cells. In an animal study, British and Danish researchers found that a carrot compound called falcarinol reduced the risk of developing cancerous tumors by a third.

Note: Though raw carrots make a healthy and tasty snack, cooked carrots provide greater amounts of vitamin A because the cooking process breaks down the cell walls, enhancing nutrient absorption.

Carrots

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Chia Pet: The Gift of Health
Chia Pet: The Gift of Health
Did some goofball friend give you one of those Chia Pets for Christmas? Perhaps she was thinking about your health. The truth is, chia seeds are actua...
Do spices have any health benefits?
What can fight cancer, reduce pain and inflammation, protect your heart and brain, knock out bac...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Much Yogurt Do I Have to Eat to Improve My Digestion?