Is it safe to consume soy sauce?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Soy sauce is quite high in salt (sodium chloride). Its use should be restricted by people with high blood pressure or those with salt sensitivity. When used, reduced-salt varieties should be chosen.

All soy products contain a high amount of oxalate. Individuals with a history of oxalate containing kidney stones should avoid over-consuming soy products.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Toby Smithson

Soy sauce is a safe food to consume. While it is low in calories with only 8 calories/tablespoon, it is not a good source of soy. It is important to note that soy sauce is very high in sodium with about 900 milligrams of sodium per tablespoon. The 2010 dietary recommendations suggest that healthy people limit their sodium intake to 2300 milligrams per day and people with diabetes, high blood pressure, or kidney disease, all African Americans, people over the age of 51 should limit their sodium intake to 1500 milligrams per day.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Mushroom Magic
Mushroom Magic
I have always liked mushrooms as a food choice. Not until the last several years have I appreciated them for their medicinal value. In fact, I find th...
Is it safe to consume garbanzo beans?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Garbanzo beans can cause a severe allergic reaction in sensitive individuals. They also contain mode...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
Eat These Healthy, Rich Foods and Reduce Stroke Risk