How can making healthy food choices make me happy?

"Stress comes from knowing what is right and doing what is wrong." -- Larry Winget

If you have gone from a workout at the gym right to the drive thru of a fast food chain, then this applies to you.

If you have downed a sixer of beer (and it wasn’t even light beer!) the night before an early am workout, then this applies to you.

I use these two examples in jest to show how making poor nutritional choices can derail all your exercise effort and leave you overweight or under performing in your exercise regime. Remember the saying, "nothing tastes as good as fit feels." Yeah, that saying annoys me too but it does make a valid point. I know cupcakes, beer and cheeseburgers taste awesome but they do nothing for my bench press. What do you enjoy? Do you honestly believe it will help you achieve your health goals? If you are not working towards your health and fitness goals, then you are moving away from them and that will not make you happy right? So enjoy your bad food on cheat days in moderation but look for healthy food recipes that you will enjoy to keep you on track.

The bottom line is you can workout for hours and see absolutely no progress if you do not make a commitment to make healthy food choices as well. If you do not see any progress in the mirror or on the scale WILL YOU BE HAPPY? No of course not. If you get up at 5:00AM for a workout and you feel hung-over will that make you happy? I doubt it. So take a good look at what you are fueling yourself with and understand garbage in is garbage out. Always make the commitment to prepare your own healthy food in appropriate portions. When you take control of your nutrition you will feel satisfied that your success is under your control and that will bring you happiness.

I think the opening saying needs a follow up, happiness comes from knowing what is right and doing what is right. Enjoy.
Which nosh makes you happier -- carrot sticks or potato chips? If you want to feel happy for more than a minute, go for the sticks.

Why? Because research shows that the potato chips could be bringing you down. It seems that certain foods may bump up the risk of clinical blues. And junk food and sweets are high on that list, according to a recent study.

In the study, researchers characterized the typical diets of middle-aged volunteers as either "whole food" -- meaning he or she tended to eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and fish -- or as "processed food" -- meaning the study participant favored fried foods, sweets, refined grains processed meat, and high-fat dairy. For the next five years, the researchers tracked the participants to see who became depressed and who didn't. The results? The junk-food junkies were 58% more likely to be down in the dumps.

Researchers suspect a healthy diet helps ward off the blues in several ways. First, produce-heavy diets deliver lots of folate, which enhances communication between brain cells. Second, fruits and veggies are also packed with antioxidants, which are linked to lower rates of depression. And finally, there's fish. Lots of research has shown that long-chain omega-3 fats, found in abundance in fish, may defend against depression by reducing inflammation in the brain.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Does Dark Chocolate on Valentine's Day Help Your Heart?
Heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are everywhere on Valentine's Day. The intriguing question, debated by scientists for decades, is whether the candy in...
Why should I eat colorful fruits and vegetables?
Packed with vitamins and antioxidants, fruits and vegetables maintain your health and keep you young...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Does Greek Yogurt Compare to Regular Yogurt?