How can I get the most health benefits from food?

There are many reasons why we prefer some foods over others: social, psychological and health, to name a few. But the main reason consumers choose one food over another is flavor. Generally, we eat what tastes good.

Luckily, there are plenty of tasty ways to get the most nutritional benefit from virtually any type of food:
  • Enjoy ingredients at their peak of quality. Buy produce in season. Pay attention to expiration dates.
  • Take time to chew. Chewing encourages saliva flow, enhancing flavor as foods dissolve in your mouth. Also, aromas and tastes need time to blend; textures can change as you chew, too.
  • Store and prepare foods with care. Overcooking, undercooking, not storing properly or keeping foods too long can destroy flavor.
  • Vary the temperature. Cooking releases enticing aromas and flavors.
It doesn't take much effort to make mealtime both a sensory and a nutritious experience.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Mushroom Magic
Mushroom Magic
I have always liked mushrooms as a food choice. Not until the last several years have I appreciated them for their medicinal value. In fact, I find th...
What are the health benefits of eating tomatoes?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
The health-promoting ability of tomatoes has received a lot of attention recently because of their l...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
How Much Yogurt Do I Have to Eat to Improve My Digestion?