How does eating fish protect my heart from air pollution?

In this ever more polluted world, sometimes you just can't avoid a little bit of particulate matter in your lungs.

So go fish! Eating finny food not only reduces your risk for heart disease but also may protect your heart from air-pollution-induced arrhythmias.

Short-term exposure to small airborne particles spewed from cars, power plants and other industrial sources may cause an irregular heart rate -- serious stuff because it could open the door to heart arrhythmias and even heart attacks in people who are over 60 or have heart or lung diseases.

But fish could help thwart that unhealthy chain of events. A study found that the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil may help alleviate those irregular beats. That's just what happened when people over 60 who were exposed to particulate matter took a daily fish oil supplement. Fish oil supplements aren't for everyone, though, and should be discussed with a doctor first.

But most people can eat a couple servings of fish each week without worry.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Are You So Over Oatmeal?
Are You So Over Oatmeal?
Have you had it with your morning oatmeal? Here are some reasons -- and ways -- to rekindle the love affair. First, consider this: A 13-year study re...
What Mushrooms Should I Not Eat?
What Mushrooms Should I Not Eat?
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Sardines?
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Cheese?