How does chocolate benefit my health?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

You don't always have to say no to that piece of chocolate! In fact, if you are looking to lower your blood pressure or boost your mood, a bite of dark chocolate or a sip of hot cocoa might be the perfect answer. The cocoa found in some of your favorite desserts contains many super powers that can help improve your health, inside and out.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Eating chocolate, in moderation, can be good for your health, but before you unwrap that candy bar be aware that all chocolate is not created equal. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller reveals the important wording you should look for to make sure you get the biggest health bang for your chocolate buck.

Dr. Jill A. Grimes, MD

There is continued evidence that having a few servings (ounces) of dark chocolate each week may not only please your taste buds, but perhaps also your heart. A new study shows that moderate consumption of chocolate—1 to 2 servings per week—reduces your risk of heart failure.

That does not mean eating an extra large Snickers bar every day to enhance your heart health; it means having a few ounces of dark chocolate per week.

Experts know that dark chocolate consumption in moderate amounts has been shown to lower both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. This study suggests that the benefits extend beyond blood pressure and on to consequences of high blood pressure, such as heart failure.

So dip a luscious strawberry into some melted dark European chocolate and enjoy!

Emilia Klapp
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

You might think it’s not, but chocolate can be healthy depending on the type of ingredients used in the manufacturing process. High-quality dark chocolate contains a large amount of cocoa, which is high in antioxidants and contains important minerals, such as chromium, that the body needs. If you avoid chocolates made with large amounts of sugar and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils instead of cocoa butter, it is OK to eat chocolate in moderation. The maximum amount recommended is about 50 g a day.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

The Health Benefits of Almonds
The Health Benefits of Almonds
Next time you're headed to the office vending machine, skip the chips and grab yourself a bag of almonds instead. Your heart will sing.  Besides the ...
What are the health benefits of lotus root?
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOMDr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Popular in Southeastern Asia and especially good for the elderly and children, lotus root is not...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
How Often Should I Include Fish In My Diet, and What Kinds?