How do I cook tofu?

Sarah Krieger
Tofu can be very versatile and tasty in many dishes, but it helps to use the right kind for the right recipe. If you want to add cubes of tofu to a stir-fry, start with the extra-firm tofu, drain it and pat it dry. Then you add to a medium-hot pan and let brown on each side before adding vegetables. Turn it lightly so it stays in cubes. It also likes a non-stick pan or a pan with a small amount of oil.

For recipes where a smooth texture is desired, aim for silken or soft tofu. This can be mashed with a small amount of plain yogurt, mustard, relish and salt/pepper for a lovely "mock egg salad". Silken tofu can also be used in smoothies, dips or salad dressings. It can really be replaced in most recipes where yogurt or eggs are called for.
Thinking of a stir fry for dinner? Toss in some tofu. Too hot for a big steak? Grill firm or extra-firm tofu instead. Not only is tofu one of the most versatile ingredients, it's also full of nutritional value. Tofu is a good source of iron, is very low in saturated fat and has no cholesterol. Tofu comes in varying textures and firmness, including extra-firm, firm, soft and silken.

Recipe ideas include:
  • Stir fry. Dice extra-firm tofu into cubes and add in two minutes after the chopped vegetables.
  • Salad. Slice a tofu block into 1-inch pieces. Mix together soy sauce, pepper and lime and marinate for one hour. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium and add the tofu. Cook until caramelized, about three to four minutes on each side. Add to your favorite salad.
  • Grilled. Cut firm tofu into 2-inch thick pieces. Marinate for one hour in olive oil, pepper and oregano, basil or thyme; grill over medium high heat until cooked through--about two to three minutes per side.
  • Smoothie. In a blender, mix one banana, 1 cup non-fat or low-fat regular or soy milk, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and one container of silken tofu. Blend on high for two to three minutes until smooth.
When you use tofu instead of meat as a main dish, you'll get lots of flavor without all the fat.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

What Are the Health Benefits of Fennel Seed?
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Adzuki Beans?
How Often Should I Include Fish In My Diet, and What Kinds?
What Are the Health Benefits of Red Yeast Rice?