What are the health benefits of eating pears?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Pears are an excellent source of water-soluble fibers, including pectin. In fact, pears are actually higher in pectin than apples. This makes them quite useful in helping to lower cholesterol levels and in toning the intestines. Pears are often recommended by healthcare practitioners as a hypoallergenic fruit high in fiber that is less likely to produce an adverse response than other fruits. Particularly in the introduction of fruits to infants, pears are often recommended as a safe way to start.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Marisa Moore
Pears are a great source of soluble fiber (pectin) which has been shown to help lower cholesterol. At 5.5 grams of fiber per pear, eating just one covers nearly 20% of your daily fiber needs. Because of the fiber content, pears are a great snack if you're trying to manage your weight.
Fresh pears are so low in calories and high in fiber, you could eat one before every meal and still lose weight. But even better, pears are loaded with catechins and flavonols -- two antioxidants that appeared to hinder the storage of belly fat in a 14-year study.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Mushroom Magic
Mushroom Magic
I have always liked mushrooms as a food choice. Not until the last several years have I appreciated them for their medicinal value. In fact, I find th...
How healthy is quinoa compared to soy?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is native to the Andes in South America. It's caught on lately in the United State...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
What Are the Health Benefits of Lima Beans?