Where can I find other veterans to talk to about reintegration challenges?

Pam Hays
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The nonprofit  I founded, The Arms Forces, embraces veterans who have a traumatic brain injury or post-traumatic stress disorder.  If you are experiencing the challenges of invisible wounds in your reintegration progress, The Arms Forces would like to help. 
As a veteran coping with reintegration challenges, you will probably find it helpful to share experiences and learn from other veterans going through the same transition. There are several veterans’ service organizations through which you may get referrals to support and discussion groups. 
  • The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) may be a good place for veterans of those conflicts to start. The IAVA has created an online social network called Community of Veterans to help vets with reintegration into civilian life.
  • The American Legion has been in existence since 1919 and is the largest veteran’s service organization in the U.S.
  • The Heroes to Hometowns program is a nationwide service providing reintegration assistance for wounded veterans from the engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • The volunteer-sponsored AMVETS is the American Veterans Association, which has been advocating for veterans in receiving benefits, employment help, and community support since 1944.
  • The Disabled American Veterans organization is specifically geared towards assistance for veterans permanently injured during their military service.
For a complete directory of veterans’ service organizations in the U.S., check the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Continue Learning about Health and Society

Cleaning Up Our Act: Why the Environment Matters for Your Health
Midway through the fifth game of the World Series it seemed like everyone in the Houston Astrodome—players, coaches and fans (more than 69,000 people)...
What can I do to protect myself from germs and bacteria at restaurants?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
To protect you and your family from germs and bacteria at restaurants, you must thoroughly wash your...
10 Healthiest Communities in the U.S.
10 Healthiest Communities in the U.S.10 Healthiest Communities in the U.S.10 Healthiest Communities in the U.S.10 Healthiest Communities in the U.S.
Gallup-Healthways ranked 189 communities for well-being. Where does your area land?
How Should We Address Antibiotic Resistance?