Is violence against women an acceptable behavior in our society?

Legally, no.  Officially, no. However, our culture says no but tolerates VAW (violence against women) in some areas or circumstances depending on cultural history. In some ethnic groups, VAW is acceptable. When these groups live in North America, they end up in conflict with the law. 

Violence against women is so woven into the fabric of acceptable behavior that many who are victimized feel that they are at fault or have no right to complain about it. Many of those who perpetrate violence feel justified by strong societal messages that say rape, battering, sexual harassment, child abuse, and other forms of violence are acceptable, or at least understandable. Every day, we see images of male violence against women in the news, on TV, in the movies, in advertising, and in our homes and workplaces. The prevalence of these images makes it appear that violence against women is simply a fact of life.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Health and Society

Thoughts and Prayers Aren’t Enough to Prevent Gun Violence—Here’s What Can
I’m an ER doctor. I trained in an area of high violence and crime. Day-to-day, the EMT radio transmissions can become background noise—68-year-old wi...
How can we improve public health?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Here’s what I would do if I were the philosopher-king of public health: I would eradicate tobacco ...
Stop These 7 Bad Smartphone Habits Right Now
Stop These 7 Bad Smartphone Habits Right NowStop These 7 Bad Smartphone Habits Right NowStop These 7 Bad Smartphone Habits Right NowStop These 7 Bad Smartphone Habits Right Now
Save your immune system, your mental health—and maybe even your life.
Arianna Discusses “Third World America” on “Tavis Smiley”old