Why would I need to check an axillary temperature?

An axillary temperature is a non-invasive mode of measuring body temperature. An axillary temperature is measured in persons who are unable to cooperate in the measurement of an oral temperature. For example, infants or young children who are unable to follow directions to hold the thermometer in their mouth. It also may be used for individuals who have experienced trauma or surgery to the mouth. Another indication for an axillary temperature is a person receiving oxygen via a facemask or individuals who are mouth breathers.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

What are the difficulties in diagnosing symptoms?
Symptoms of a disease may not be the same in everyone. They can be silent, vague or atypical. And oc...
What health screening tests do people age 40 and older need?
Health screening tests for people age 40 and older are based on multiple variables, which include ag...
What Is One Way to Improve My Relationship with My Doctor?
What Are Tips for Scheduling a Last-Minute Doctor's Appointment?