Why would I need to check an axillary temperature?

An axillary temperature is a non-invasive mode of measuring body temperature. An axillary temperature is measured in persons who are unable to cooperate in the measurement of an oral temperature. For example, infants or young children who are unable to follow directions to hold the thermometer in their mouth. It also may be used for individuals who have experienced trauma or surgery to the mouth. Another indication for an axillary temperature is a person receiving oxygen via a facemask or individuals who are mouth breathers.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

What is the best way to measure body temperature?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
A rectal temperatures is an internal measurement taken in the rectum, and is slightly higher at 99.6...
Why would I need to check an oral temperature?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The most common reason to check an oral temperature is to detect a fever or an elevation of body tem...
How Can I Determine If a Doctor Will See Patients at Night or on Weekends?
What Is One Way to Improve My Relationship with My Doctor?