What is an oral temperature?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
An oral temperature is the body temperature as recorded by a clinical thermometer placed in the mouth. Normal adult body temperature, as measured orally, is 98.6° F (37° C). Oral temperatures ranging from 96.5° F to 99° F and may vary depending on the person's physical activity, the environmental temperature, and that person's usual body temperature.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

What is the correct way to take an axillary temperature?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
An axillary temperature is measured in the axilla or armpit area. It is recommended to use a digital...
What preventive care services should I receive?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The following preventive care services are recommended for adults:Blood work for cholesterol and fas...
Why Should I Have Preventive Screenings If I Don't Have Health Problems?
What Is One Way to Improve My Relationship with My Doctor?