What are the steps my doctor needs to take to make a diagnosis?

Long before a doctor ever orders a test, writes a prescription or lifts a scalpel, there is that pivotal symptom hinting that something is not right. It will eventually become what doctors call the "chief complaint," the symptom or constellation of symptoms that guide them down a particular diagnostic path. The process is arduous. Many diseases have similar symptoms while few have symptoms that are unique to one. Doctors must aggregate all the signs and symptoms, see if the person also falls into a high risk group, generate a list of possible causes, prune the list, and then validate everything to arrive at a definitive diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

What are disadvantages of being screened for a disease?
There are several factors to the downside of testing. First, there is the added cost of screening te...
What is the correct way to take an axillary temperature?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
An axillary temperature is measured in the axilla or armpit area. It is recommended to use a digital...
Why Should I Have Preventive Screenings If I Don't Have Health Problems?
What Is One Way to Improve My Relationship with My Doctor?