Is it important to know my vital signs?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
It is very important to know your vital signs, which include temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiratory rate. Many people have high blood pressure and do not know it. The only way to know if it is high is by having it checked.  For others the pulse rate may be abnormally fast or slow or irregular. Often times there may be no symptoms but it may indicate a heart problem.  Part of a physical exam includes checking your vital signs. That is one reason why it is so important to be checked out by your medical provider.

Knowing your resting heart rate (RHR), blood pressure (BP) and other factors such as blood sugar levels and body composition are important things to be measured when getting cleared for a health and fitness program. These can provide measures of your success and help determine how you will modify your fitness program over time.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

What is an oral temperature?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
An oral temperature is the body temperature as recorded by a clinical thermometer placed in the mout...
What type of cardiovascular screening should I have in my 40s?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Cardiovascular screenings for high blood pressure, cholesterol and other markers should be conducted...
Why Should I Have Preventive Screenings If I Don't Have Health Problems?
What Are Tips for Scheduling a Last-Minute Doctor's Appointment?