How can timely health screening offer me peace of mind?

Susan S. Blum, MD
Preventive Medicine

It can help you know where you stand at any given time. But it does not replace the need to continue living a healthy life, because even after a good screening, health can change pretty quickly if you aren’t taking care of yourself. In other words, a good screening exam is not a license to go out and behave badly.

Screening tests can provide valuable information at an earlier stage of disease, often before a health problem becomes serious. This advanced warning gives you time to work with your doctor to put preventive strategies in place that could, potentially, save your life. If a screening test is normal, then you have the peace of mind of knowing where you stand right now. Keep in mind you may need to repeat screening tests as many diseases are progressive and can develop over time.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

How can I tell if I should be screened for a disease?
In general, when considering a screening test for a particular illness, it is important to take into...
What type of cardiovascular screening should I have in my 40s?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Cardiovascular screenings for high blood pressure, cholesterol and other markers should be conducted...
What Are Tips for Scheduling a Last-Minute Doctor's Appointment?
How Can I Determine If a Doctor Will See Patients at Night or on Weekends?