What is normal body temperature?

Normal body temperature is generally accepted to be 98.6°F or 37.0°C.  However body temperature varies at different parts of the body. An oral temperature, which is the most convenient type of temperature measurement, is at 98.6°F or 37.0 °C. This is the accepted standard temperature for the normal core body temperature. Axillary temperatures are an external measurement taken in the armpit. This is the longest and most inaccurate way of measuring body temperature, the normal temperature falls at 97.6 °F or 36.4 °C, because the measure is taken external to the body. Rectal temperatures are an internal measurement taken in the rectum, and are slightly higher at 99.6 °F or 37.6 °C.  Body temperature also varies by person, age, activity, and time of day.

Continue Learning about Health Screening Tests

What are the benefits of preventive health screenings?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Preventive health screenings have the benefit of detecting potential problems early. Preventive heal...
Should I get a scan if I've been a longtime cigarette smoker?
Without any symptoms, scans may be unnecessary, even after years of smoking cigarettes. To learn mor...
Health Screenings You Need in Your 60s
Health Screenings You Need in Your 60sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 60sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 60sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 60s
Both men and women should get these tests. Have you had them yet?
Know Your 5: Lifesaving Tests, Part 1
Know Your 5: Lifesaving Tests, Part 1