Are screening tests effective?

Ideally, a screening test is both very sensitive and specific. People with the disease will test positive and those without the disease will test negative. Unfortunately, there are no perfect screening tests in medicine -- every test will result in some false positives and false negatives. The reality of medicine is that screening tests with sensitivities and specificities in the 80-90% range are often used. This means that while the majority of the results are correct, there are a significant number of false results.

Continue Learning about Health Screening Tests

Should I get a scan if I've been a longtime cigarette smoker?
Without any symptoms, scans may be unnecessary, even after years of smoking cigarettes. To learn mor...
What are the benefits of preventive health screenings?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Preventive health screenings have the benefit of detecting potential problems early. Preventive heal...
How should I get my colon checked?
Barely half of all adults follow the screening guidelines for tracking down colon polyps. Even more ...
Health Screenings You Need in Your 60s
Health Screenings You Need in Your 60sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 60sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 60sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 60s
Both men and women should get these tests. Have you had them yet? As you approach your retirement years, your health needs and concerns may be differe...